Interested in joining Council? The Local Government industry provides rewarding career opportunities where employees can really make a difference to local communities! Here is a little bit of information about what it’s like to work with us.
"I like working at Council because there is a broad range of challenging work, which makes every day interesting."
Pathum Gunasekara, Strategic Planner
"Council provides great flexibility which is perfect for my young family. I work with a friendly team of people, and enjoy being part of community events."
Tracy Ward, Environmental Projects Officer
Located 1.5 hours drive from Newcastle and 3 hours from Sydney, Muswellbrook Shire Council is situated in a beautiful country location and offers a wide range of career opportunities. Our organisation employs approximately 200 valued staff, and prides itself on providing a great work environment, work-life balance, and career development.
Conditions of Employment
"Council has provided me with flexibility and support to allow me to complete my Degree and grow my career."
Stefan Ambler, IT Systems Officer
"I really enjoy the work. We have a lot of very interesting projects and challenges and a healthy budget to do the things we need to do. That’s probably the biggest thing for me. We also have a great team to work with."
Neil Pope, Director Community Infrastructure
"Council has provided me with the opportunity to progress, and has supported me to develop my skills. They provide a safe and supportive work environment, and I really enjoy working with my team."
Lyndall Gunning, WHS Advisor
Our conditions of employment are covered by the Local Government (State) Award 2014.
We also offer some other great benefits in addition to the entitlements covered by the Award such as:
- Professional Development: Council is committed to a range of learning and development opportunities, including access to a range of training courses and conferences, and an Education Assistance Program which provides employees with assistance to gain accredited Qualifications.
- Flexible Working Arrangements: Rostered Day Off System (9 day fortnight) for staff working a 38 hour week, and Flexi-Time Sytstem for staff working a 35 hour week.
- Employee Assistance Program: A free and confidential counselling service for employees and their immediate family.
- Health & Wellbring Program: Claim up to $100 per year for fitness/health activities.
- 20 Years of Service Payment: $1,000 is provided after 20 years of service.
- Social Club: Contribute $5 per week to the social club and attend a range of functions throughout the year with your partner/guest. Recent events have included Annual Bowling & Movie Night, Lovedale Long Lunch, Laser Tag, Twilight Lawn Bowls, Christmas Function.
- Salary Packaging Options Join our team today!
Join Our Team Today
"Muswellbrook Shire Council is a very multicultural and age diverse employer which has given me the opportunity to work with people from different backgrounds."
Susanne Tobin, Administration Officer
"I enjoy working at Council as we have a wonderful team of people."
Michelle Cleary, HR & Safety Coordinator
"I work with a good team, and there’s always a challenge to keep you interested. Council is also flexible, and provides great work/life balance."
Lee Slattery, Risk & Return to Work Advisor
"Council is progressive and is constantly evolving. I enjoy being involved in a number of community enhancing activities and projects."