Muswellbrook Shire Council is an equal opportunity employer, and applies merit based selection techniques. If you are considering applying for a position at Council, please read this information carefully as it will help you to understand our Recruitment and Selection Process:
Council’s Recruitment and Selection Process typically takes 6 to 8 weeks from Advertising of a vacancy through to Offer of Employment.
Advertising and Application submission
Council uses a range of advertising methods which are tailored to the specific vacancy. All vacancies are advertised on Council’s website. All applications are required to be made online.
Following the closing date of the advertisement, a Selection Panel will undertake a merit based Shortlisting process whereby your application will be measured against a number of criteria. Your Resume and the written responses you have provided to the questions asked of you via Council’s online application will be used for this process. It is therefore important that you provide detailed answers to the online application questions, providing examples of your past experience to demonstrate your abilities to the Selection Panel.
The Shortlisting process will determine the applicants that will be invited to interview.
Interview and Other Selection Processes
A number of selection processes may be used to assess how well your experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and qualifications meet the criteria of the vacancy. If you are shortlisted, Human Resources will contact you via phone to ask you to attend an interview. Council uses Behavioural Based Interviewing techniques for the interview process. You will be asked to provide specific examples of Situations or Tasks you have faced in previous roles, the Actions you took, and the Result that was achieved. A way to remember these components is by the acronym, STAR.
Other selection processes may also be used such as Practical Assessments, and/or Aptitude or Personality Tests.
A range of checks may be conducted on preferred applicants including:
- Reference Checks: You will need to provide contact information of at least two work related Referees. It is preferred that Referees are a current or previous supervisor. We will gain permission from you prior to contacting your Referees.
- Qualification and Background Checks (if applicable)
- Visa Checks (if applicable)
- Working with Children Checks (if applicable): Working with Children Checks are required to be completed prior to an Offer of Employment being made for any position that works in a child related setting as required by the NSW Commission of Children & Young People. Human Resources will conduct the check in accordance with specified procedures as set by the Commission. Fee’s associated with Working with Children Check applications will be at your expense.
- Pre-Employment Medical & Functional Check (mandatory): You will be invited to participate in a mandatory Pre-Employment Medical and Functional Check, to ensure you are fit to perform the position you have applied for.
Offer of Employment
Following completion of the Selection and Checks process, the successful applicant will be notified and provided with an Offer of Employment, which outlines the relevant terms and conditions. Once acceptance has been confirmed, all other interviewed applications will be notified on the outcome of their application.