If you are annoyed by the noise from your neighbour’s dog there are several things you can do.


  1. Talk to the dog’s owner. The dog’s owner may not have realised that their dog is bothering you, and in many cases, will be happy to work with you to solve the problem.
  2. Contact a Community Justice Centre. If the problem persists, you may contact a Community Justice Centre (CJC). These are government-funded but independent centres that specialise in settling differences between neighbours without entering into complicated legal processes. They will suggest mediation, where you meet with the dog’s owner and a CJC representative to try and solve the problem. This process will not cost you any money, and has a high success rate.
  3. Contact your local council. If mediation is unsuccessful and the noise problem persists, contact your local council. They have statutory powers to deal with barking dogs. Under the Companion Animals Act 1998, a council officer can issue a nuisance order to the owner declaring the dog a nuisance if it barks or makes another noise that keeps occurring or continues to such a degree that it unreasonably disturbs neighbours. For example, if you complain about a noisy dog, the council officer can investigate to substantiate your complaint. This may include:
  • asking you to keep a barking dog diary of when the noise occurs,
  • canvasing the neighbourhood with barking dog diaries ,
  • visiting the property where the dog is kept and providing verbal and written advice


For owners of barking dogs just need to add the factsheet, the RSPCA knowledge base
https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-base/my-dog-is-barking-excessively-what-should-i-do/ and a blurb about electric shock collars are illegal in NSW

Back to top