Location 1100 Wybong Road, Muswellbrook
Applicant MACH Energy Australia Pty Ltd
Council Area Muswellbrook Shire
Consent Authority Minister for Planning and Public Spaces or Independent Planning Commission
Description of proposal
The proposal includes:
• Extending the life of open cut mining operations to 2048;
• Extracting an additional 247 million tonnes of run-of-mine (ROM) coal over the life of the Project,
through the mining of deeper coal seams and optimisation of the North, Central and South Pits;
• Extracting and processing up to 21 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) of ROM coal;
• Transporting up to 17 Mtpa of ROM coal by rail;
• Dispatching up to 10 laden trains per day, with an average of 6.5 laden trains per day;
• Constructing new ancillary infrastructure, including water management facilities;
• Relocating, upgrading and augmenting existing ancillary infrastructure;
• Increasing the operational workforce to 830, with an average workforce of 600;
• Realigning the future Northern Link Road; and
• Changes to the approved final landform.
The State Significant Development (SSD) application, Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and other accompanying documents
will be exhibited from Wednesday 3 February 2021 until Wednesday 3 March 2021 and are accessible electronically on the
Department’s website https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/major-projects/projects/on-exhibition.
At the time of publishing this advertisement, the Minister for Planning and Public Spaces has not directed that a public hearing should be held.
Controlled Action under Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act)
The Commonwealth Minister for the Environment and Energy has determined that the project is a “controlled action” under the EPBC Act
The EPBC Act Part 3, Division 1 controlling provisions are:
• Sections 18 and 18A (Listed threatened species and communities); and
• Sections 24D and 24E (Protection of water resources from coal seam gas development and large coal mining development).
The project (EPBC 2020/8735) will be assessed under Part 4 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and in accordance with clause 6 of the Bilateral Agreement between NSW and the Commonwealth, made under the EPBC Act, relating to environmental impact assessment. The public notice for the project may be found at: http://www.environment.gov.au/epbc/public-notices.
Have your say
Anyone can make a submission about the development application during the exhibition period.
Web submissions: To make an online submission, please go to the Department’s Major Projects website at www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/major-projects. Search for this project under www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/major-projects/projects/on-exhibition. On the project’s webpage, click 'Make a Submission'. You will be required to log in or create a user account. Follow the online instructions.
If you cannot lodge online, you can post your submission to the address below.
If you want the Department to withhold your personal information before publication, please make this clear at the top of your cover letter and do not include personal details in your attached submission. If you post your submission, it needs to be received by the Department before the close of the exhibition period.
Your submission must include the following:
• Your name and address, at the top of the letter only;
• The name of the application and the application number;
• A statement on whether you ‘support’, ‘object’ to the proposal or are only making a comment;
• The reasons why you support or object to the proposal; and
• A declaration of any reportable political donations you made in the previous two years.
Privacy statement: Before making your submission, please read our Privacy Statement at www.planning.nsw.gov.au/privacy or call the number below for a copy.
The Department will publish your submission on its website in accordance with our Privacy Statement.
To find out what is reportable, and to access a disclosure form, go to https://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/DonationsandGiftDisclosure
or telephone the number below for a copy. The disclosure requirements apply to both postal and online submissions.
For more information: 1300 305 695
Address: Director – Resource Assessments,
Planning and Assessment, Department of Planning,
Industry and Environment,
Locked Bag 5022 PARRAMATTA NSW 2124.