Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Administration Centre
Under an easing of coronavirus restrictions by the NSW Government, Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Administration Centre will be open between 10am-2pm from Monday 1st June. Council would like to prioritise this time for development enquiries, rate and water enquiries, payments and companion animal registrations. For other enquiries, appointments can still be made by contacting Council on 02 6549 3700.
The health of the community and staff remains Council’s highest priority, and appropriate signage and social distancing measures will be in place. We ask that customers consider all remote options before attending Council’s facilities in person, including phone, email, post
and Council's Online Service Portal for payments and requests.
Paying Rates “REMINDER"
Land rates are due on 31/05/2020. Access to some of Council’s facilities is still restricted to help keep the community safe in the face of Covid-19. Wherever possible, please consider the various remote payment options outlined below.
- Via Online Service Portal
- Pay at Westpac – rates notice required; contact Council if you need a copy
- Pay at any bank (transfer fees may apply) – rates notice required; contact Council if you need a copy
- B-PAY via internet or phone banking
- Mail cheques to PO Box 122 MUSWELLBROOK NSW 2333
Where remote-payment options are not possible, payment in-person at Council facilities is considered by appointment only.
If you require a copy of your rates notice or you have any questions regarding payment options, please do not hesitate to contact Council on 02 6549 3700.”
Libraries, Art Centre and Visitor Information Centre to reopen from 1 June
Libraries and galleries will be allowed to reopen from 1 June, 2020 under an easing of coronavirus restrictions by the NSW Government although strict protocols will remain in place.
In another step forward in the reopening of Council’s community facilities Muswellbrook and Denman libraries will reopen on 1 June and the Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre and Visitor Information Centre on 2 June. To meet physical distancing requirements each facility will have instructional and directional signage displayed at the entry to guide users and some areas of the buildings will have limited access.
The number of visitors to each facility will be managed by an appointment system to ensure equitable use of assets and services at each site and to allow for the collection of user details, as required by the Public Safety Order. Artist workshops, exhibitions, author visits, book clubs and story time sessions will continue, or commence, in an online capacity.
NSW Health guidelines, to ensure community facilities operate in a COVID-19 safe way, include:
- exclusion of staff and visitors who are unwell
- limiting the number of guests to allow for 4 square metres per person
- providing distance markers for people queuing at service points
- ensuring adequate hand washing facilities and/or sanitiser
- no groups and tours
- enhanced cleaning
- 48 hour quarantine of returns for libraries.
To make an appointment call: Muswellbrook Library 6549 1913; Denman Library 6547 2208 Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre 6549 3800; Visitor Information Centre 6549 3891
Council to reopen waste facilities next week
Muswellbrook Waste Management Facility and Denman Waste Transfer Station will reopen next week for the disposal of domestic waste. The current booking system will be retained in order to control physical distancing and provide a safe environment for visitors and staff in compliance with the NSW State Government Public Health Order.
- Please book your visit in advance on 6549 3852. Bookings will be accepted Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 3.00pm.
- The Muswellbrook Waste Management Facility will reopen for weekend trading at 8.00am on Saturday 30 May and be open from 8.00am to 4.00pm, seven days a week.
- The Denman Waste Transfer Station will reopen at 9am on Friday 29 May and be open on Friday and Saturday from9am to 4pm.
Bookings may be made in advance by calling 0427 252 645. Denman Waste Transfer Stations accepts domestic waste quantities only.
- Council continues to prefer card payments in order to minimise hand to hand contact.
- The weekly kerbside domestic waste collection service (the bin pickup service) continues as usual.
Council to reopen services in line with NSW Government guidelines
Following the decision by the NSW Government to ease some of the current restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic, from Friday, 15 May 2020 Muswellbrook Shire Council will reopen a number of facilities to provide the opportunity for the community to begin to access Council facilities, such as parks and playgrounds, whilst requesting that the community continues to follow the required physical distancing protocols.
Most of the Shire’s playgrounds, parks and sports fields will reopen for recreational use from this weekend, although physical distancing and hygiene rules will remain in place.
Council has established protocols to ensure that residents can have access to some playgrounds, parks and sports fields and encourages residents to follow the guidelines outlined on signs at recreational facilities and to always practice physical distancing and hygiene rules.
All Muswellbrook Shire Council parks, playgrounds and passive areas will be reopened from Friday, with the following exceptions:
- Muswellbrook’s Highbrook Park playground will remain closed until work on the new irrigation system currently being installed is completed.
- In Denman, Memorial Park remains closed due to ongoing major refurbishment works.
Council is now working to develop protocols for the reopening of other Council facilities, such as the waste facility, library and art gallery, while continuing to provide essential services to the community.
You can follow the guidelines on the link below:
Friday 1st May 2020 Update: ESSENTIAL WASTE DISPOSAL BOOKINGS AVAILABLE FOR ALL RESIDENTS
Council has extended the protocol to allow essential household waste disposal at the Muswellbrook Waste and Recycling Facility to include all Shire residents. If you have household waste which is causing you a health or hygiene concern:
- Please book your visit in advance on 6549 3852. Bookings will be accepted Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 3.00pm subject to availability.
- The Waste and Recycling Facility will be open for booked disposal Monday to Friday. Closed weekends. Denman Transfer Station is closed.
- Council is currently only accepting card payments.
- The disposal of ‘hard rubbish’ and green waste is considered non-essential as these types of wastes are not putrescible (household) wastes and are unlikely to lead to the creation of public health nuisance in the short term. Council is asking residents to hold onto this type of waste while the Public Health Order is in place.
- Businesses must quote their ABN number when booking.
The weekly kerbside domestic waste collection service (the bin pickup service) will continue as usual.
COVID-19: UPDATES AND IMPACTS ON COUNCIL SERVICES
Muswellbrook Shire Council is taking action in the interest of the health and wellbeing of the community in response to the global COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.
Council has a duty of care to the community and staff and we are committed to taking whatever action we can to prevent the spread of the virus in our region.
Slowing down of the infection rate is a priority and the most effective approach is through ‘social distancing’ which includes avoiding crowds, meetings and gatherings, staying home if you are sick, working from home, giving people ‘space’ and most importantly practising good personal hygiene.
Council is taking preventative measures within its operations to safeguard staff and the general public. Non-essential meetings will be cancelled or held online or by phone and staff are being told that they should not attend work if they have symptoms of cold or flu.
MUSWELLBROOK COVID-19 SCREENING CLINIC
The Muswellbrook Hospitals COVID-19 Screening Clinic will open from 17 April 2020. This is an outdoor clinic located in the new section of the hospital. It will be open for 2 hours each day 7 days a week between 1.30pm and 3.30pm. No referrals are needed. Anyone who presents with respiratory related symptoms can access the test. The hospital is currently limiting visitors. All visitors to the site will be temperature tested.
CANCELATIONS AND CLOSURES
Muswellbrook Shire Council is temporarily closing all playgrounds and a number of its sites and facilities as a precautionary measure in the interests of public health. We are taking measures to reduce the risk of contact with COVID-19 and to promote social distancing. This includes limiting physical contact between people including Council staff. Many Council services will still be available online or over the telephone.
ALL PLAYGROUNDS TEMPORARILY CLOSED
From 27 March 2020, Council will close all playgrounds and erect notices of the closure. Council regrets the impact of this important precautionary measure, however it is necessary to protect the community’s children and their parents. Shared pathways, cycleways and open green space will remain open, with social distancing in place.
ADMINISTRATION CENTRE TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Muswellbrook Shire Council’s Administration Centre will be closed from 4.30pm on Friday, 27 March until further notice. Staff will still be available to assist you by telephone or email during normal working hours - 9.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. An out-of-hours answering service for urgent Council matters is available on 6549 3700.
If there are issues that cannot be resolved remotely, please contact Council to make an appointment to make other arrangements.
Council is currently working on plans to provide flexible services, including library outreach and deliveries.
CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
- Libraries – Muswellbrook and Denman. Visit www.uhrl.nsw.gov.au to access eBooks and more online or call Muswellbrook Library on 6543 1913 for assistance.
- Muswellbrook Aquatic and Fitness Centre
- Denman Memorial Pool
- Visitor Information Centres (VICs) – Muswellbrook and Denman
- Muswellbrook Indoor Sports Centre
- Denman Indoor Sports Centre
- Denman Memorial Hall
- Stan Thiess Centre
- Sporting venues for group and organised activities. You can still take the dog for a walk or kick a ball around with your kids, just keep up the social distancing and hand washing.
- Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre
- Senior Citizens Centre
- Karoola Off-Leash Dog Park
- All Council Departments: Access will be by appointment only and will be assessed on a case by case basis.
CURRENTLY OPEN with restrictions:
- Muswellbrook Animal Shelter will remain open with strict adherence to social distancing. Residents must contact the Animal Shelter Co-ordinator on 6549 3777 to make an appointment to view, adopt, surrender or collect any animals to ensure safety for the general public and Shelter staff. All animal related payments can be made at Council’s Administration Centre by appointment only, to make an appointment please call Council’s Administration Centre on 6549 3700.
PUBLIC TOILETS REMAIN OPEN
- Council’s public toilets will remain open at this stage. Council will increase the frequency of cleaning of these facilities. Users are urged to bring toilet paper, as Council cannot guarantee that the toilet paper provided will not be stolen.
Upper Hunter Regional Library
Please be advised that under State Library NSW guidance, and to slow the spread of COVID-19 we have decided to cancel all public events at the Muswellbrook and Denman Libraries including story time sessions, brain training, lego club and crafty hour effective from 19th March 2020 until further notice.
Muswellbrook Shire Council understands that the uncertainty of the current situation is unsettling and will endeavour to provide information as it is made available.
Muswellbrook Shire Council encourages the community continue to visit the Library Network website where the community has to access electronic resources from home including eBooks, digital audio books and digital magazines.
If you are isolated and are having difficulty accessing these services or wish to renew your loans please call the Muswellbrook Library on 6543-1913 and we will assist you over the phone.
Easter Family Fun Day has been cancelled. Council will no longer make the Denman Memorial Hall or Stan Thiess Centre available for hire and Seasonal and Organised Sporting Activites and Event Hire have been suspended at all Sporting Facilities and Grounds until further notice.
No cash payments will be accepted at any Council facilities (payment by card or cheque only) including at the Waste Management Facilities and Administration Centre.
Council is currently working on a range of strategies to deliver services remotely or to vulnerable people and those in self-isolation.
Council is continually assessing the situation and will advise of any change in services as soon as possible.
Further information about NSW and Australia-wide arrangements can be found here:
For health advice on COVID-19 go to: www.health.gov.au/covid19-resources