Muswellbrook Shire Council adopted the Denman Town Centre Master Plan on 8 November 2016 following an extensive and extended consultation process including community consultation, meetings with key stakeholders and individual businesses. Key elements of the plan were to identify a main civic node, consider traffic flow, safety and improve connectivity. In the 2018-2019 budget Council allocated $2.5 million to begin the upgrade and dedicated $1.94 million to reconstruction of Memorial Hall.
Ogilvie Street will be reconstructed providing for new road pavement and kerb and gutter; widening of footpaths; implementation of a one-way flow of traffic (Palace to Paxton Street). The project includes construction of a two way service road with carpark at the southern side of the town centre; improvement of stormwater drainage; replacement of old water mains; construction of parking bay for long vehicles in Paxton Street and the redevelopment of Memorial Park.
Redevelopment of Memorial Park will include an event lawn, paved plaza area, space for public art, enhancement of the existing memorial; new amenities and a new play area for children.
Reconstruction of the Memorial Hall, whilst maintaining the heritage value, will be built to a modern standard, be fully air-conditioned and include the addition of a bar, back of house, retractable tiered seating and cinema projection facilities.
The renewal of the streetscape and provision of off street parking will have a positive impact on the Community due to improved parking availability, accessibility and amenity of public spaces.
Reconstruction of the Memorial Hall will re-establish an important venue for community, social and entertainment events whilst enhancing the use of the building with modern design which do not detract from the heritage values. Involving the Community and Stakeholders Council will continue to keep the community informed.
Denman Town Centre Upgrade
Kellie Scholes Phone 6549 3756
Denman Memorial Hall
Karli Anshaw Phone 6549 3789
September 2018 update:
- 8 October the demolition works start at the rear of the Denman Memorial Hall to enable reconstruction to commence as per publicly exhibited plans.
- 27/9 removal of trees in Ogilvie Street (between Paxton and Palace Streets) in preparation for future water main construction
- Carpark earthworks for pavement construction
- Project update information session – 9am Friday 21 September
- NOTICE OF WORKS IN DENMAN – Wednesday 19th September – Carrying out investigation for underground pipes and drainage
- Carpark construction underway with piped drainage and pits within adjoining properties
- Project update information session – 9am Friday 14 September
- Project update information session – 9am Friday 7 September
August 2018 update:
- Project update information session - 9am Friday 31 August
- Carpark drainage construction commenced
- Denman Memorial Hall Design and Construct Tender has been awarded to contractor, project is progressing and works will be starting soon. Further communications will be published when program of works and commencement date is confirmed
- Work is commencing 21 August on Stage 1 - Carpark
July 2018 update:
- Commencing soon will be the construction of service road and carpark at southern end and upgrade the water mains.
- Works have begun to remove the steel pergola from the front of the façade at the Memorial Hall. The structure will be relocated into storage before being reconstructed at a new location in Denman.
The Denman Town Centre Landscape Concept, Civil Concept and Long Vehicle Parking Paxton Street Concepts are available at the following links.