Here is a list of health care facilities within Muswellbrook Shire
- Brook Medical Centre
- Denman Medical Centre
- Dental surgeries
- a physiotherapy practice
- a chiropractic practice
- a district hospital in Muswellbrook and
- a smaller hospital in Denman
- Denman's Merton Court Aged Care Facility
Muswellbrook District Hospital
- acute medical
- obstetric and
- emergency services with a current 42 bed allocation.
There is an 18 bed nursing home attached to the hospital. A range of community health services and health professionals working within the Muswellbrook Shire supports the hospital and nursing home.
Muswellbrook District Hospital is the largest of 6 public hospitals located in the Upper Hunter sector of the Hunter Area Health Service - other hospitals include:
- Scott Memorial (Scone)
- Wilson Memorial (Murrurundi)
Merton Court is an aged care facility of 17 low care beds situated 91 Virginia Street, Denman. It also has aged care home packages at Merton Village, 22 Turtle Street, Denman comprising six independent living units with a further six about to be constructed.
- Phone 6547 2684
- Fax 6547 2057
John Hunter Hospital
The John Hunter Hospital is the nearest major referral hospital. It is a distance of 145km's via road and the travel time is approximately 2 hours by road and 45 minutes by air.
Visiting specialists include
- X-ray facilities are available, however, if high technology imaging such as CAT scans, patients are referred to Newcastle.
- Basic pathology services are available; cross matching can he undertaken if required - limited blood stocks are kept at the hospital. High tech equipment such as ventilators and oximeters are available, but in limited numbers.
Westpac Rescue Helicopter
Muswellbrook Shire also has access to the Westpac Rescue Helicopter, ensuring that emergency cases can be taken to Newcastle or Sydney when required.
The level and provision of service available in Muswellbrook Shire is among the highest in regional Australia with people only needing to travel to major hospitals when specialist treatment is required.
- For more information visit the Hunter New England Health website.