Dogs can be a great source of pleasure, companionship and security, but you need to choose one that fits in with your families, lifestyle and budget.
There are a few things you will need to consider before you buy a dog.
- Why do I want a dog?
- Do I want a big or small dog, male or female?
- Do I want a lap/house dog, or an active dog?
- Do I have the time to walk, train and exercise a dog?
- Do I have sufficient space for a dog?
- Can I afford to feed a dog, the Pet Microchip, Pet Registration, veterinary fees and appropriate bedding?
Animal shelters and rescue organisations are only too happy for you to 'adopt' one of their dogs and the cost is reasonable.
You must remember that owning a dog is a big responsibility.